Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Value of Separation

While my husband is working his seasonal business, we live in two separate locations.

It is always interesting to see what happens to my schedule and priorities when I am on my own.

He says he experiences changes also.

While he has been gone, I have been refining my workspace.

I make little changes from time to time, moving one object to a different shelf, setting up a weaving project in a more harmonious location, moving through projects gently, less self-consciously.

He is refining and defining spaces in his mobile workshop.

We communicate through electronics - text, email, phone and Facebook.

We are each reading interesting things.

We are each spending time in various venues.

I go to quilt guild meetings, knit night, weaving class and guild, beekeepers, and spin-in’s.

He conducts pinewood derby workshops, and picks up conversations with friends.

We cook different foods.

He is eating differently.  So am I.

We have seen the same movie in our two different locations.  He has been to a couple more movies.

Wen we are together, we enjoy many of the same things.

But while we are separate, our distinct individualities have room to define themselves a bit more clearly.

I think we have the best of both worlds.

© 2017 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment