Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Role of Discipline

I grew up thinking that what one had to do was discipline oneself to do the things one had to do.

There was no concept of being “allowed” to have fun or self-discovery at that time.

So I translated everything into the satisfaction of doing things very, very well.

And of course, there are lots of rewards for that.

But it only works up to the time that you discover that you have a right to your own individuality.

Now that I have learned about that right, it is a wonderful exploration to discover what I love.

The only discipline required now is the delight of doing whatever I need to to get it done.

It is a total joy.

Naturally I work at it until it is the best that I can produce.

The role of discipline has become the role of discovery, invention, persistence, and success.

The rewards are both intrinsic and extrinsic.

There is lots and lots of happiness as well as satisfaction.

There is no strain or anxiety about having to please an outside source.

The inward Source and I have a warm and rewarding conversation every step of the way.

The new discipline is the discipline of inward listening, and responding to that.


© 2014 Kathryn Hardage

www.InspiredPractices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment