Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Learning to Draw and Other Life Lessons

When we work on things we love, we are not in a hurry.

I am realizing I can apply that to my life a lot more.

Since deciding to learn to draw as a terrified beginner adult, I have been learning a lot more than how to draw.

I am learning to take my time and not to push myself according to outside standards.

I look at my latest bird drawing and I am now able to notice that the angle of the beak is slightly different from what I am copying.

I would not have even been able to see that before I started looking at things closely enough to draw them.

So I am grateful to see more accurately than before.

I discovered that I am satisfied to draw a bird from the book I have about every two to four or more months.

It takes me that long to calm down after working on it and getting worried and panicky over my results.

Then I can come back later and see what I have done and take the next step.

Never have I felt I had to throw out my work.

So I can lighten up on the self-criticism that builds up while I am drawing.

Another good thing to infuse into my life in general.

Sometimes I feel I am not getting results in other areas of my life.

But you know what?

They are just taking time to percolate through the layers of old habits and judgements.

The results are happening.

Now I know to just keep practicing.

All the rest of the lessons will have great results, too.


© 2013 Kathryn Hardage
www.InspiredPratices.com


No comments:

Post a Comment