Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The Womanhood of Sue Monk Kidd

In her books, Sue Monk Kidd explores how women come to self-knowlege.

She discusses her own awareness of leaving the pervasive influence of patriarchy in “Dance of the Dissendent Daughter”.

One of he most telling moments for me is when she discusses her research about what was included in the Bible.

About twenty-rive hundred years ago, the decision was made not to include the contributions which women were making at the time Christianity was appearing.

I was struck with the huge difference that would have made in today’s society if women were considered valued and equal contributors for the last twenty-five hundred years.

“The Secret Life of Bees”, Kidd’s first novel, deals with a teen girl’s discovery about her life and the life of her mother.

Kidd explores the connection of the “Black Madonna” and its revitalizing spirit in the life of those communities who acknowledge her.

“The Mermaid’s Chair” deals with a woman’s discovery about an event which changed her life as a child and how deeper revelation about it changes her life later as a mature woman.

The book Kidd wrote with her daughter, Amy, “Traveling with Pomegranates” has accounts from each of them in responses to their own self-exploration while visiting sites in Greece.

“The Invention of Wings” looks at a period a few decades before the Civil War, in which a black woman and a white woman discover their purpose and their freedom.

In reading each of these books, I was drawn into considertion of my own role as a woman at various times and in various settings.

I have had to find my freedom from the influence of my father.

I have discovered my own and my mother’s strengths and weaknesses in protecting me.

I have found the revitalizing spirit in my own life through various workshops and authors.

I have been exploring and finding my purpose and the deeper meaning for my life.

Once again, I am extremely grateful for the courage of women to articulate the path to their sources of strength.

I expecially appreciate the many ways presented with Sue Monk Kidd’s insight.

© 2019 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment