Sunday, May 5, 2019

Taking Care

I am so unused to getting hurt for any length of time, that I didn’t realise that I had actually done some damage to myself.

I thought I was dealing with jet lag and general fatigue when I found myself limping a bit as I tried to take in the sights.

I thought it was being unused to walking that much and going up three flights of stairs to our small hotel room.

After several weeks of this, I continued pushing myself including climbing up to the top of one of the highest sites in the city.

The next day, I could barely walk at all, even though my ankle had been improving.

My husband bought me a bandage to wrap my ankle, but my legs just were not working.

After being scared about that, I tracked down the symptoms and found that I had strained my quadriceps.

I implemented the recommended rest and gradually began to recover.

On top of that, I was still dealing with my habitual panic attacks and doing so in new cities.

In my hotel room, I listened to a talk for therapists who help trauma victims.

I was able to glean a new idea which moved me forward.

After that I listened to an artist who teaches intuitive drawing.

My drawing complimented the new idea which I had just learned.

I was able to apply that to my next outing.

I walked slowly, listened to my body, ate when I needed to, took my time, enjoyed the sights which surrounded me and made it to my destination.

I continued listening to my body, addressed the panic attacks, and slowed down to enjoy my activity.

I was able to proceed throughout using this process.

I called a halt when I felt too overwhelmed to continue and was able to take a break.

On the way home, I stopped and enjoyed several other sites.

I made it back to the hotel, and gave myself a long rest.

I am taking the next day very easy, but I know I have the tools to continue moving forward in my healing and enjoyment of my life.

© 2019 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment