Friday, November 14, 2014

The Third "Billy-Goat Gruff"

You remember in the story of “The Three Billy Goats Gruff”, the small and middle-sized billy-goats tempted the ogre to wait for the third and largest billy-goat for a larger meal.  When the third and largest billy-goat came across the bridge, he butted the ogre right off the bridge and sent him downstream.

I am at the point in my life where I am the third and largest billy-goat gruff and I can now toss the ogres from my past life off the bridge to my new life and send them downstream never to bother me again.

Looking at various art and creative blogs and watching creative youtube videos, ideas I can share began to flow for me.  I was putting together lots of ways to do this when I ran up against several objections from my childhood.  

These voices have been getting more and more specific due to my demand to actually hear what they are saying instead of just feeling intimidated or depressed or scared.  When I put the feelings into words, I can refute them and argue on my own behalf.

So now that I have insisted they come out of hiding, I am also giving myself the strength to remove them.  When I was the smallest billy-goat gruff, I was a child abuse victim.  I still had my creativity.  In fact, that is one of the ways I survived.  

Then, I got to the next stage of my life, the middle-sized billy-goat gruff, where I just worked really hard at my school work and music lessons, graduated high school and college, got jobs and married and raised a family, all with my background safely buried.

At the ripe age of fifty years, my background began leaking through all the busyness, and I had to develop the tools and strength to deal with it.  Fifteen years later,  I have made good progress, but occasionally nasty and cruel things, such as attitudes and sayings, come through from time to time, especially when I am ready to move forward.

So today, when my creativity was in full flow and the negative remarks began surfacing in my mind, I stood my ground and decided that I am the person who knows who I am and what I am capable of doing.  And that is when the image of the billy-goats gruff came to my aid.  

I am now at the point where I am the third and largest billy-goat gruff and those ogres have got to go!


© 2014 Kathryn Hardage
www.InspiredPractices.com


No comments:

Post a Comment