Friday, November 21, 2014

Letting the Project Evolve

On extremely rare occasions, I will follow a pattern, but what I most love to do is to let the project evolve.

I get excited about the materials, or in the middle, I decide I want to use them a different way.

I have many methodical friends who create wonderful works.

But I enjoy acting on the inspiration of the moment.

This applies to fiber art, knitting, quilting, and my new venture, drawing.

Since I like to try so many different approaches, I usually have what most people comment on as too many different projects and directions.

I have learned that I will work on one for a while and then go to another, and eventually, I will come back to the first project.

Over long periods of time, lots of projects get done, sometimes with several finishing close together.

My mind and eye mature along the way.

I can’t see everything about what I am creating while I am involved at whatever stage I am in.

But with the perspective of time and working with other materials, I can come back with a fresh eye, and maybe even some new techniques to play with, and then I can get a more complete sense of what I want to see.

Since I am no longer pressured by deadlines, I can give myself the time to play.

This kind of discovery is very fulfilling for me.

When it feels finished, it is.

The work lets me know when it is complete.


© 2014 Kathryn Hardage

www.InspiredPractices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment