Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Garden Engagement


I was totally engaged in my garden yesterday.

Crawling around to pull up grasses at their roots, I brushed up against the rosemary (three kinds), and later, a lavender plant.

The smells, the sensations of dirt in between my fingers, the different postures for getting close to the earth, all transformed my perceptions.

Instead of unsavory news stories, I was engaged in living, breathing beauty.

Instead of barren sameness, I examined minute design and burgeoning growth.

The panorama of new leaves, crowding and supporting one another was exciting.

The different colors of greens, from pale new leaves to forceful deep rich Mexican petunia soothed my unknown need for delicate sensory variety.

Working with two plants whose roots travel underground, made me aware of their tenacity and determination to grow.

Working with other plants to expose them to more sun, made me aware of tender protection.

Although I know it makes me feel good to be in Nature, this was on a more intimate scale.

I can slow down and sit among the plants and feel the presence an entirely different Universe.

I am glad I can be part of it.


© 2013 Kathryn Hardage
www.InspiredPractices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment