Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Power of Self-Forgiveness


Have you done everything right?

I certainly have not.

I didn’t realize how certain events of the past were eating at my soul.

Even though I could see how they happened and I felt powerless at the time to do anything else, I still blamed myself.

Once I discovered how large a toll was being extracted from me emotionally and physically every time I thought about it, I realized I had to do something different.

I reasoned that since I was the one reacting, I had the power to change my approach.

First I started with loving myself.

That was a good place to begin.

Then, I explored the idea of self-forgiveness.

Even though things have worked out for the best, I still felt badly.

I decided to feel good about how things have worked out.

I decided I could feel satisfied and happy for others involved.

Perhaps that event had been a catalyst for the ways things are now.

Even with an uncomfortable rift, there are still many good things happening.

I decided my expectations were unfair and unrealistic, because it demanded that someone else fulfill them.

I decided to work with the action I could take and see what new directions I could devise for myself.

This feels like a much better approach.


© 2013 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment