Thursday, September 6, 2018

Moving Out From Tunnel Vision

I found myself irritated at a conversation I heard while I was working on a project.

Increasingly, I also found myself reacting to the fluorescent lighting.

As I took steps to mitigate the lighting by putting on a hat I wear for protection from the sun, I found that I could no longer concentrate on my project.

I moved into a room with natural lighting and sat down to calm down.

A friend joined me to converse and to ease the situation.

Not until I got home and talked with my husband did I realize that I had been in the middle of a full-blown panic attack.

I realized that the irritating conversation I heard was a trigger for a feeling of extreme frustration from the past.

Since it was not directed at me, I had not caught it.

I am grateful to realize another example so that I can redirect myself.

I am grateful for the friend who helped me calm down with supportive conversation.

I will now be more aware when a combination of factors causes me to react with irritation and sensitivity.

I will act as quickly as I can to restore myself to my new standard of safety and harmony.

Fortunately, I am farther and farther away from the past causes of my symptoms.

 I have  acquired effective tools and techniques to deal with such situations.

I am around forgiving and understanding people, and I will ask for their patience once again.

© 2018 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment