Friday, November 1, 2013

A Chemical Addiction


After reading Evolve Your Brain, by Dr. Joe Dispenza, I understand a little more about the brain’s chemistry.

When we combine that with how habits are built and maintained, it is easier to understand why it is hard to change direction in our lives.

The old habits are reinforced by the chemical brain which keeps producing more of what it has produced in the past.

So, in order to create new habits and to reform the old processes, we basically have to break a chemical addiction.

The miracle is that this can be done.

In following the steps and recommendations in Dr. Dispenza’s book, it is possible to create new tracks in the various neuro-systems.

And with the great desire for doing so, a new life can be built.

I thought I was doing pretty well in rewiring myself and creating new patterns and tracks for my behavior.

And I am.

But something set me off on the old path of emotional reaction and it took a few hours of distracting myself and feeding myself with comforting activities, (I chose to draw and embroider,) to do to finally calm myself back down.

I have so much more respect for people who are coming off drugs and going through rehab now.

If this was what I face mentally, I can just barely imagine a small part of what they are facing physically.

So, I have another layer of compassion now.

And I am also being more respectful of myself and appreciative of my progress so far.


© 2013 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment