Thursday, April 18, 2013

Planting a Garden


As I dug the holes for my new perennial shrubs, I reflected on how far my garden has progressed.

Nine years ago, I had a plain front yard lawn.  I began adding my favorite flowers, dianthus, along with various Texas sage plants.  Since then, I have experimented to see what will grow in my soil and climate.

My main challenge has been to really listen to what I want to see in my yard.

I have continually added perennial plants, after becoming aware of the water crisis we are facing in North Texas.

I added pinks and reds, a Texas sage shrub with small pink flowers, red salvias, pink Skull Cap.

This winter I added tall biennial dianthus, with deep magenta flowers.

Since bees and bird pollinators see clusters of colors from high up in the sky, I have learned to group colors together.

Now, I am adding yellow flowering shrubs, coreopsis and Mexican Blanket.

It is my desire to have a yard which feels lush and generous during all seasons, including our drought periods.

I have only seen two other yards that are not plain front lawns in adjoining neighborhoods, both with very different plant collections.  One is Xeriscaped with many different varieties of cactus and dryland flowering plants. After talking to the homeowner of the second one, I found that it resulted entirely from self-planted trees and shrubs.

They both feel like oases during our summers.

I am glad to add one more oasis and to support water conservation at the same time.


© 2013 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment