Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Pain and The Calm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJ_AM5C4ns 

I am so grateful for the above YouTube video relating to the Power of 2012.  The photography, music and editing are exquisite.

Although I did not participate so fully this year in the frantic holiday season, I watched my students  become tense, inattentive, irritated, and impatient during their music lessons.

I watched myself become less understanding and impatient also.

We all experience the increased tension going into the holiday season and the relief of getting back to our routines.

This year, the change was so dramatic, especially in my very young students, that I took time to really look at it.

I remembered one time I attended a three-day seminar.  By mid-morning of the second day, I was unable to remain in the training room.

When the session took a break, my workshop leader came and found me.  I told her the sound was too loud and intense for me.  When she asked the “sound man” about it, he lowered one of the dials by two-thirds.  It became somewhat tolerable for me after that, although I did continue to take care of myself by taking breaks from the room when I needed the silence.

Two-thirds less.

Wow.

Observing my students and how calm and happy they were after the holiday break made me consider that it was not just the activities of getting ready for the holidays.  It felt like the same reaction I had had to too much noise.

We put ourselves and our children into busy urban settings.  However, we are becoming more and more aware of the healing atmosphere of calm and of being in Nature.

We are hearing more fully about the benefits of meditation, and the need to set a quiet space apart for ourselves to relax and recharge.

We need to practice calm and we need to help our children practice calm.  The long-term effects of this much pain are, well, painful.

It is unacceptable to allow this level of physiological intolerance and abuse without a protective practice for our children.

I am grateful for this video and the other avenues which help contribute to our sense of beauty, peace, calm and that kind of power.

© 2012 Kathryn Hardage
www.InspiredPractices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment