Sunday, November 19, 2017

Joy of New Identity

As I continue to work through the layers of healing, I am so happy to notice the great distance between what I was raised to be and what I am establishing for myself.

My husband has begun hanging my quilts and small fabric art pieces on the walls of my studio.

I am so comforted to see evidence of what I love to do, what I have chosen for myself.

During this time of year, I am hit once again with painful memories, but I have learned what it is like to live as the person I love to be.

As I am pulling myself out of the habitual holiday downward spiral, I find myself surrounded with friends who like to do what I like, spinners, weavers, quilters, knitters.

We are sharing new skills and new accomplishments and appreciating one another’s efforts.

I am still establishing new habits of enjoyment for myself, but these can become more and more automatic the longer I do what I love.

It is a new kind of work, consciously establishing an identity for myself, one that I choose.

My new identity is not shaped by where I happened to be.

It is shaped by all the new activities I am doing, and the new people who surround me as we all do things we love.

It is a great atmosphere.

I am so very grateful I made the immense effort to reestablish myself in a beautiful part of the country, doing things I love.

© 2017 KathrynHardage

No comments:

Post a Comment