Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Courage Within and Without

Today, I took my courage in both hands and and addressed a weird situation that has been going on for some time.

As I have separated out the first and secondary issues in my life, a recurring one stood in stark contrast.

I was finally led to address it as a case of being hypnotized to react in a certain way.

I looked up ways to “de-hypnotize” myself and found that it has to do with practicing continuing mindfulness and awareness.

I addressed the first symptom and declared my right to behave in a normal way.

That worked for the first part of my activity.

Then I looked at my next symptom, and addressed it.

I spent the entire night each time I awoke making sure that I addressed the specific symptom and behavior.

The next day, I asked my husband to be with me while I performed the activity.

I got farther along with it, and then found myself reacting further.

So I took a break and addressed the third aspect of my reaction.

I was able to complete the activity.

I find this a very interesting case for myself.

I have been thinking about the other things I find myself reacting to, although in less extreme ways.

What are the ways in which we are hypnotized by society’s norms to think we can or cannot do certain things?

What are the ways in which we work against ourselves over political and economic issues?

The immense power of the media to do good or to create negative influence in our lives is a kind of hypnotism.

It is good to remain mindful and aware of this  power and to be careful we are thinking our own thoughts to the best benefit of ourselves and our communities.

I am so grateful for the teachers and counselors and workshop leaders and writers who keep sharing their knowledge to benefit all of us.

© 2017 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment