Sunday, October 25, 2015

Repeating the Cycle, Reliving the Pain

I have completely reformed, as in changed, my holiday seasonal celebrations as of several years ago.

I stepped off the gift-giving and receiving cycle, the family gatherings, and the tension of planning and executing events.

Instead, I substituted recognizing and celebrating my spiritual concept of individuals throughout the year.

In my service groups, I have expanded my giving to those in direct, often desperate, need.

Instead of hoping my well-employed and supplied adult children will like what I made for them each year, I do what I did when they were little.

I remember and acknowledge their spiritual qualities and spiritual identity; and I know that God cares for them in every detail.

The things I make for them, I think of as my recognition of their spiritual gifts.

My grandchildren, too, receive amazing presents from their parents, so I feel free in gifting them with what I feel is appropriate for them from our museum and bookstore trips, plus whatever I enjoy making for them.

This viewpoint is something I can give throughout the year to everyone whenever I think about a relative, friend or acquaintance.

I have been moved to celebrate in an entirely new way that does not depend on traditional holiday rituals and practices.

Despite the all-pervading cultural ritual, I am most comfortable on my new ground.

© 2015 Kathryn Hardage

www.InspiredPractices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment